Thursday 23 June 2011

Golden Eagle Ho!

I'd planned the trip to see Haweswaters Golden Eagle well. I'd found the location of the hide. I'd confirmed only the day before while watching the Ospreys that it still lived around Haweswater. I'd even located the hide on my iPad and so could navigate my way to the hide from the road. A 30-40 minute walk I anticipated. 

Bit disappointed when I got out of the car at Haweswater at 8.15am to discover that there was no 3G signal available and therefore the iPad may as well have been a draughts board as it was certainly no use as a map or navigation aid.

Never mind. Seasoned traveller that I am finding the hide wouldn't clearly be a problem. I set off with the minimum kit which still comprised a camera body, EOS 1d Mark 2; what else? A substantial tripod and head. Waterproof bag, coat, spare battery and enough compactflash cards to record enough images to put together a panorama of the whole of Southern England.

Now, those of you who know me know that there are only two types of birds in the world, LBJ's or little brown jobbies and seagulls.That's how they all start off as far as id'ing them is concerned, it's only when I get back home that I can check them out in my RSPB bird guide and give them their official name.

On the way there came across some LBJ's and I thought to myself, 'actually I could use the bird guide that the nice RSPB man gave me at the Osprey watch after he signed me up for RSPB membership.'

Checked the bag and wished I'd brought it with me. I'll take a look when I get back to the car.

Anyway LBJ's turned out to be a Female Wheater, nice, but not as pretty as Daddy Wheatear. Then I think I found some Juvenile Pied Flycatchers. They look nothing like the finished article so I might be wrong on that.


Stopped to photograph them and then headed of to the Golden Eagle hide. 10 mins later and it's raining. Never mind, it'll soon clear I though as the mountain across the valley disappeared behind a huge shower. Then it appeared again then disappearred, then it appearred then ... well you get the idea. It had nigh on stopped when I decided to run for it. (Those who know me know this is using a very high degree of poetic license). I'm not in the kind of condition to outrun a cold at the moment. 


Anyway, I got to the hide, a very nice shed, only to discover it was locked up, but on reading the note on the door there was good news, it would be open from 10 until 4pm on Saturday and Sunday. It was Thursday so only two days to wait then.


Oh, and it had just started to rain again. Fortunately I'd put my best shorts on so looked good on the hills. The sheep baa'd in acknowledgement as I passed by. Even though I was perished and soaking. The great thing about being in the hills is that you can see the rain coming, which I did and once again I ran swiftly down the hill to an old barn for shelter before I could get soaked. Darn nearly made it too. Another 15 minutes and I'd have been as dry as a bone. It stopped so back up the hill. 10 mins later Iw as joined by another pair of couples. All looking for the Eagle. Great help actually 'cos I ha no idea where to look. It was helpful too that one of them was wearing a bright red jacket so the Eagle knew where we were. No chance of it coming anywhere near either. Bugger!


After about 45 mins one of the guys with the binos said there it is. Fortunately he described it to his partner and Iw as able to spot it. Too far away even for the mighty 600 with 2x on but what a site to behold. 


It was at this moment too that I realised that some birds, namely Kestrels in this case were clearly born without brains as it became clear that the mighty Golden Eagle was being buzzed by a tiny Kestrel . Mental! It was clearly protecting it's nest but even so, I might have been tempted to move out and try again next year.


Even at the distance from which we were viewing it was clear that the Eagle was huge. It cruised along the cliffs a little, then almost as soon as it had arrived, it was gone.

I waited another 45 mins but it didn't returned but good news I could see the rain up the valley again. So I packed up and headed down again, content with my day but intent on returning in the future for another go. 


Got to the car about 40 mins later and then headed off to Scotland to catch up with the British Superbikes for the enxt three days at the Knockhill Circuit in Scotland, where, I knoew the weather was going to be great.







 

No comments:

Post a Comment