Wednesday 22 June 2011

And so it began ...

1200 miles in 5 days. The plan, hatched some time ago was to hea dup to Dunfermline for the British Superbike round at the Knockhill Circuit. Those of you in the superbike know will be aware that the weather at Knockhill for the annual superbike meet is at best poor, normally it's abismal. Last years superbike meet saw only one of three of the superbike races take place.

Clearly it was time for the weather gods to shine on me and so unperturbed I booked my tickets for the whole of the three day event; Friday to Monday.

Now, even Dunfermline in one go is a bit of a stretch from sunny Wiltshire. So I decided to spend a night in the Lake District on the way up.

I booked this up several weeks ago and was ready for the break when it arrived.

To get round Brum in reasonable traffic I set off at 4.45am. To cut a long story short I arrived in Bowness On Windermere for breakfast at 8.30am. 


I had a lovely breakfast, veggie as it happened, at the Amnesty International Cafe at the top of the hill and heard some forthright views on what was wrong with the world. Most of which, incidentally, I agreed with.


Bad news though was that it was raining. And, unfortunately the outlook was appalling. I decided to head off and see if I could acquire some top quality leisure clothing at knockdown prices until such time as it stopped raining.


45 mins later and £70 to the light I'd acquired a breathable waterproof jacket and 5 tee shirts that were too cheap to not buy and I'm sure will fit me when I lose those few pounds I've gained in recent later life.


Now what? Off to Tarn Hows a beautiful little lake West of Ambleside. Follow the Hawahead road and you'll pick up signs. 


Unfortunately when you get there the only parking is courtesy of a NAtional Trust site and it's about 4 quid a go. Which I think can last all day, but as I only planned to duck out between showers I felt it a bit steep.


It stopped raining and out comes the camera. EOS1d Mark 2. Proven worhorse and still able to track moving obects better than the more recent Mark 3 and 4. Not sure why I mentioned that as I was in fact going to anchor it to a tripod (Carbon Manfrotto) via a Pano head and take some pano shots that I'd stitch later.


Took a few shots of the lake close in, then decided to head up on top and get some from a higher viewpoint. All went well. Tried two versions of shooting, one using the camera meter and thus risk differing exposures on each frame, the other to run with the same exposure throughout. I'll let you know how they turned out and my preference.


Managed to get back down to the car just before it piddled down again.

I'll put the finished result on the website by the weekend and you can let me know what you thimk. They'll also be very resonably priced so feel free to buy as many as you like.

I decided then to go and have a look at the Ospreys over by Bassenthwaite. Check out tomorrows post to see how that went.


Tra fer now





 

No comments:

Post a Comment