Tuesday 28 June 2011

2x Converters

As an avid photographer of wildlife and sports the mere fact that you can't get too close to your subject matter for fear of scaring them (In the case of wildlife) or because of crow control fencing or just sheer distance, necessitates that you will at some point be likely to require the use of a converter of extender. 

Over the past three years I've used around 5 different versions of these, two Sigma and 3 Canon and they deliver significantly different results.

My original purchases were the Canon 1.4x and 2x Extender ll's. I used both of these when the need arose and realised that in being able to get the shot there is a trade off in quality. One day when out shooting wildlife I realised I'd forgotten my 2x and a colleague with me suggested I try his Sigma 2x converter. I did and the difference in the sharpness of the image was noticeable to the eye just by looking through the viewfinder. Within days I'd sold my Canon and purchased myself a Sigma one. I duly added the 1.4x in time.

In recent months though I've noticed when I'm rpocessing my images that when they've been taken using the 2X or 1.4X converters, the images are just  a little too soft to be perfect.

So I decided to invest in the Canon 2X Extender lll. I use the word invest wisely as if you've seen the price of these you'll know it's not something you purchase lightly. I have to say though that it's probably one of the best purchases I've made. The quality is excellent and now means that when I'm out in the field, I'm looking for opportunities to use it whereas when I had the Mark ll, I used to look at ways of not using it due to the resultant softness.

It will be some time now but I may even consider trying the 1.4X in the future if I can get someone to let me try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment